Sunday, July 19, 2009

Jambo (hello in Kiswahili) Kenya!

Hi everyone! Ive decided to make this blog also for my 6 month volunteer trip in Kenya. So far, ive been having a wonderful time. I came a week early to stay at a friends place who is a journalist here in nairobi and to get acquainted with my new home! Through him and his roommate ive met some really great people who showed me around and have become good friends who i will continue to spend time with while im here. I started my program and moved into my house where around 12 other volunteers live as well. We have a host mom grace, her 11 month old son roy, her nephew tony who is in grade school and monica who cooks wonderfully and cleans and i think is also related. I work at olympic academy in a place called kibera, which is the largest slum im all of africa. The school is great, i am teaching class 3, which is equal to around grade 3. There are 14 students, 3 girls and the rest boys. I partner teach with a lady named carol, and we switch of leading lessons. She seems great and is a teacher with similar ideas and strategies to me, so that is great. I posted pictures of the room on my twitter page, which you can see a link to in the top right corner of this page. The only snag ive hit so far was getting lost walking home from the school in the heart of kibera..not somewhere you want to be lost at all. Needless to say, i required rescuing-the program staff had to send me a taxi-but only after i gave it a good 30 minute try! so far everything is great. The program staff are really cool people, some of whom i can tell i will become good friends with. The organization is called Fadhili Community, if youd like to visit their website. Ill be updating this blog and my twitter periodically, but youll have to excuse the gramatical errors as i am typing this from my phone! sending love from Kenya!

3 comments:

Marie said...

Hey Alexi!
So glad you are blogging about your time in Kenya. Keeping good thoughts for you. Say hi to Matt
Love Mimi

scott and barbara said...

Hi Lex! So good to get a little more information about your life there. We miss you but are happy to share you with people so deserving...I love you and send more pics when possible!
xoxoxo,
Mom

wapinsb said...

Jambo!!
Love the pictures of your beautiful students... the room needs a little flair! We Google Earthed Kibera and its no wonder you got lost. Holly @#$%! Keep safe and vigilant.
Love B.A.N.G.